Monday, December 21, 2009

Light in A Dark Box

I never understood the appeal of being in a dark room, screaming on top of your lungs at a screen. Much like a room of interrogation, it has tables and chairs except these were substituted by relatively comfortable tables and sofa. Same as the interrogation room that has but one sole light shinning on you, this room too has one light, and it comes from the screen that you will have to look at till you decide to leave.

Of course, in this room, instead of being subjected to torture from the fellow inspectors, you get tortured by the very people you call friends whom you have invited along with you. The equipment they provide seem to be tuned for this very purpose.

There are no bars on the windows for the room lacked windows at all. There is no bolt and lock on the door and no officer that prevents you from leaving yet while you are subjected to this horror, you lack the will and desire to leave.

Such is the terror of the karaoke room.

Yes, I know it's very late in my life but for the first time, I actually went for karaoke. All this while, some way or other, by cruel fate or otherwise, I have not been able to go for karaoke sessions and finally, I did.

It was unexpected but Bao Bao suddenly says that he and his friends were going for karaoke at Mines and asked if I would like to come along. The student rates were suppose to be cheap so I happily tagged along, eager to find out the mystery behind the dark box.

The Red Box there was fairly cheap. At RM 9, we get 2 drinks and a room. Bao Bao has not yet gotten his student card so his charge is RM 24 but with drink and food. :) I've always been happy to share cost with my dearly beloved so it was ok for the experience.

Our room was 35, and it wasn't very interesting. It had wallpapers of what looked like wooden crates; 2 black sofa and 2 tables. There was a wide screen and we had to divide 3 microphones between 4 of us.

I ordered a lemon tea and a lychee aloe vera. I wouldn't recommend it as lemon tea was very drying for the throat and the lychee aloe vera was SOO sweet. :) The garlic and chicken pasta that Bao Bao ordered was ok.

At first I was embarrassed but Bao Bao and his 2 friends, Wei and Liew soon put me at ease. Wei and Liew had quite an amazing voice although Wei preferred some more emotional songs (yes, we sang a lot of linkin park and other sad songs).

Bao Bao was in his own arena for he loved to sing (on his own or to a radio) and confidently added or subtracted sound effects (like echoes and what not).

The three of them had an awesome time remodeling the songs to their liking with additional words, fast rapping, and colorful languages (:D need I say more?) It was totally hilarious!

I myself rediscovered my love for songs that I used to listen to when I was younger, namely Backstreet Boys and Brian McKnight (etc etc).

:) All in all it was wonderful and we sang for 4 hours. The way the mics turned our voice into something awful was bad plus some of the MVs had no lyrics but it was still wonderful!

So here, I would like to extend my thanks to my Bao Bao, who shared with me my first experience of karaok-ing, and to Liew and Wei who luckily survived my awful tone deaf singing for 4 hours.

Mission: Successful. Enjoyment 100% and casualties 0. :D

PS: Karaoke rooms might be haunted after all because the pictures I took had weird spectrums of purple around. I leave it to your imagination and believes. Hehehe....

No comments:

Post a Comment