Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fateful Accident

All of you have been my companions for forty days since you last arrived on the 18th September. Just a little every day, all of you grew from tiny dust-particle sizes to cute little faeries swimming in the water. The process of maturity took 25 days but you were beautiful and it was exciting to watch you grow.

At the fourth week of life, I have witnessed mating and egg sacs on some of you females as you swam around, promising a new life and a new cycle of life, where I can watch your babies grow up and it gave me hope that your generation of faeries will always be there on the window sill if I looked up.

An unavoidable natural disaster snatched many of you away, as the searing heat proved not only difficult for people but deadly to you. Alas only ten of you survived and it saddened me but a glimmer of hope remained that you would still be able to repopulate the tank. It always made my day just a little brighter and a little less stressful to see you flitting gracefully across the water.

With my single track mind to improve your living quarters from what would be like comparing an apartment to a bungalow in the next two weeks, the accident happened. A single lash from the curtain on a windy day sealed the fate of you hardy survivors, spilling your entire world out the window of the second floor condominium block that you've known all your life.

It was too late when I noticed, and it pains me to know you were gasping for air before you finally passed away. The few of you who looked like you could survive again, has fallen dead at the bottom of your 500ml tank.

Here I bid you all farewell and thank you for the days you were there for me. I'm sorry I was not a good enough master to check on you as soon as I got back today. Please accept my excuse that the water you swam in was special and surviving 24 hours was paramount to being able to provide you with more. Know that your simple existence brought me small joys from the moment I took you all out while you were still in your egg capsules to today when it happened. Hope you will all be happy together over the rainbow with all your senior pets who have gone there before you. Goodbye, my sea monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment